Saturday, July 27, 2019

Coming Back to Fort St. Joseph

          Hi everybody, this is Cameron. I’m coming back to you again, and this time as a staff member this field season. I am grateful to be back working in Niles amongst a very welcoming and neighborly community, especially as an archaeologist excavating at a site that has a lot of meaning for so many of you.
          Just to get you guys caught up with my life since my last blog, I have just recently graduated this past spring with my undergraduate degree in anthropology from Western Michigan University, and fortunately I have been able to maintain employment as an archaeologist for the past three months. Over the past year I worked in the lab at Western Michigan University as an independent study student under the guidance of Doctor Nassaney. My job was to create a digital inventory for an artifact collection from a field school back in 1998, and to deaccession any redundant artifacts from that collection which had no research value. Anyways, after I graduated I was offered a job doing this same task. It was a temporary position that lasted for two months. And during that time back in May, I was invited to come to the site in Niles while the trenches were being dug into the old dump site. A few other students and I dry screened for artifacts that were taken from core samples from the bottom of the trenches. And as many of you already know, these samples were positive, and they yielded eighteenth century materials such as wampum, lead shot, and calcined bone.
          Fast forward to the end of June and I was offered employment working as a field assistant as Fort St. Joseph, which I did not hesitate to accept. And since that time I have been living and working right here in Niles. My role as a field assistant is to work along side the students assisting them with excavating their unit, mapping, filling out paperwork, and supervising during lab time while they wash artifacts. And I also work with Gary by prepping the site for pit tours and the upcoming open house next Saturday. The site was littered with debris from the dump, and sprawling with brush. But between the collective efforts of the staff, students, and volunteers, the site is safe and navigable for the public to visit during the open house. 
          I should also mention that since I have began working as a field assistant this season, I have also accepted another job here in Niles working at the History Center. I will be there every Saturday working at the front desk, greeting visitors, educating myself about the history of Niles and Southwest Michigan, and digitizing field notes from the past field seasons at Fort St. Joseph. This is another wonderful opportunity that I am more than grateful to have been offered. And if you happen to be in the area, come visit me so we can catch up or become acquainted.
          Working at both the Fort St. Joseph Archaeological Project, and in the Niles History Center, are both learning experiences that will help me traverse my through my journey of life, and which I have no doubt will help me grow as a person. I can not succeed on my own, and I owe it to the people who have guided me along the way. I am indebted to the community of Niles and the faculty from Western Michigan University for everything they have done for me in my past, my present, and my future.

Hasta Luego,
Cameron


No comments: