Thursday, July 12, 2018

An Open Letter From a Niles Native


Dear reader,

The Fort Saint Joseph Archaeological Project is very special to me.  It is possible that it is so important to me for one of the same reasons that you have found yourself on this blog post.  The City of Niles has been my hometown for all twenty-one years of my life.  It was while I was a student at Ring Lardner Middle School that I decided I loved history, and while I was a student at Niles Senior High School that I decided I loved archaeology.  What better way to appreciate history than to study the physicality of it, the proof of days and people past?

I left Niles, then, for four years to pursue an undergraduate degree in anthropology/archaeology in Erie, Pennsylvania.  This past spring, I graduated and returned to Niles with a degree in… hospitality management?  It’s funny to me, looking back over the past four years, that I found my passion and had everything I needed to pursue it.  I, in no way, am implying that I fear I have made the wrong choices, and I would argue that my decision to complete a degree for event planning with a minor in anthropology and archaeology resulted in my direct involvement in the Project today. 

It's easy to overlook the incredulity of something in your own backyard.  Its normalcy has clouded its value.  I wonder if the lucky people who live in far-away destinations look outside and sigh and fantasize about great pines and two-story houses as the pyramids crumble on their doorstep…  It seems trivial, maybe.  The world is so vast for the simplicity that comes with being human.  And yet, simple as we may be, there is much to be said for the refreshing new views that accompany a homecoming.  It was with fresh eyes that I returned to the city that has always been my home – the boring, quiet, redundant city on the state line.  Niles hadn’t changed at all, but I had, for my greatest worries of what would become of “home” had never come to fruition. 

This is where you, dear reader, along with the Fort Saint Joseph Archaeological Project, come in.  I said that the Project was special to me, which may be an understatement.  In my foolish younger years, I had mistaken my own familiarity of the site with growing public disinterest for a truly amazing project.  The way that other publics from other places saw history was disheartening.  The archaeology sites in my textbooks were riddled with problematic politics; so much so that when my professor in Erie recommended that I apply to work at the site in my hometown, I had many, many fears.

Fort St. Joseph is right along the St. Joseph River.
We have many idyllic views!
Imagine, if you will, leaving your hometown for four years and experiencing the lack of awareness, and sometimes care, for an area’s history by its own residents.  Imagine changing your major so that your studies can be more relevant and being told how silly it is to maintain a minor in the field you love.  Imagine being told “the past is in the past, so keep it that way”, when you know well that those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.


Now, imagine coming home to see that not only is the public archaeology project that you remember still in effect, but that the community continues to support it!  Imagine going to an event a half an hour north of the City of Niles to promote this same project and seeing how excited everyone (children and adults alike) is about the site!  Imagine meeting the newest class of students attending the field school – students who have never been to Niles – and hearing them say how excited they are to learn about the community!

I see in this project the potential to bring a community together in the form of public lectures, open houses, and social media – just as you are here! – and to also promote the study of archaeology and public (our) history.  Such is the nature of public archaeology: not to find treasures, but to treasure the stories the finds tell.  That is why I could not turn down the opportunity to work for this Project, to promote it to the public, to preserve the very practice that is preserving the past.  That is why I came home.

Thank you all for your continued support,

Eleanor Hein

No comments: