Thursday, July 19, 2018

Letting Loose with the Community

Mary Ellen and I. 

Hi everybody,

My name is Seneca Bradley and I am a Western Michigan University student. I am a senior and I am participating in the Fort St. Joseph Archaeological Project this year.

Being out in the field all day is an exciting experience with all the artifacts that we find, but the most exciting part of it all is being able to be involved with the community and the city of Niles. The community is very supportive and really involved with the archaeological project. Honestly one of the best things about the community is how they host us throughout the community and in their homes. I mean, getting food is not the best part about the community but who doesn't love free food right? Anyway, today, Tuesday July 17, 2018, after being in the field all day, the FSJAP staff and students were hosted for a pool party at the home of Mary Ellen Drolet. Mary Ellen has been involved in the Project since 1998 and has a lot of passion for the project, and she gets down and dirty with us in the field. She was out there all day with us working out of the excavation unit, which is awesome.

The first time I met Mary Ellen was at the Mansion Dinner before our first lecture and I thought she was an amazing person. She told us about how her mother went on a field trip in the third grade to the area where the fort and said that on day we were going to find this fort and now that there is project being done involving the fort, I know that it is exciting for her and I know as a team, it makes us really thrilled to be involved in it. The pool party was fun and the water in the pool was great, from what I heard, and everyone had a great time in the pool as well, especially Raegan with her perfect form cannon ball. I know from watching, that everyone was having fun talking with the community and eating great food.

Being able to bond in the community and the people of Niles is honestly a blessing and the support that we have from the community is amazing and it really motivates me to keep going out there and digging and find more to show to the Community of Niles to give back.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not "amazing"--this is an incredible project and my family and I are so privileged to be a part of it!

Unknown said...

PS: I heard that Tim Bober walked from the Library (near where the old Central school was located) to the FSJ Boulder yesterday with the middle-school campers . .my Mom was watching from her apartment up the hill and was so excited to see them there!