Saturday, July 20, 2019

An Alumni's Path from Field School to Full-Time Archaeologist


Hello! I’m DJ Kraai, a previous Fort St. Joseph (FSJ) field school student and Western Michigan University graduate. I’ve enjoyed following the FSJ project over the past few years and wanted to write back to share my experience becoming a full-fledged archaeologist.

I graduated in April 2017 and took a full time job in employment services. After a few short months I grew tired of the daily office grind and dreamt of being in the field once again. With the help of Dr. Michael Nassaney, Erika Hartley, and Tim Bober I updated resume and began searching for employment as an archaeologist.

In the spring of 2018 I received an internship in New Mexico on a Pueblo I,II,III (750 - 1300 A.D.) site excavation. I revealed a stone masonry roomblock adjacent to a Great Kiva and earned the right to excavate within the kiva itself, a task not normally given to the interns. Thankfully I had learned excellent excavation technique during my time with the FSJ field school and my accurate note taking, clear drawings, and linear walls were quickly recognized. My internship ended as Fall 2018 began.

I briefly returned to Michigan before accepting a temporary archaeological field technician position on a 30,000 acre pedestrian survey project throughout Northern and Western Arizona. My significant other still held employment in Michigan and we didn’t want to pay for two homes so I pulled the front seat out of my Subaru Forester, hammered together some plywood, and inserted a makeshift bed. For the next 3 months I lived out of my car and slept on public Forest Service land, which is not entirely uncommon for field techs to do. Many archaeology projects are in remote areas so camping on-site for 8 day periods is a common practice. Since I was already camping for work I just extended my off-road living into my 6 day breaks between sessions.

I returned to Michigan once the winter was in full swing and we were unable to continue surveying due to snow (who knew it snowed in Arizona!). My partner and I packed up, hopped in the car, and I made my final three-day drive to the Southwest (I had driven between Michigan and New Mexico/Arizona three times and flown twice by now) to set up our new home in Phoenix, Arizona. I chose Phoenix due to the incredible amount of archaeology employment opportunities in the area. Archaeology is largely driven by the oil, natural gas, and forestry industries due to Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, which dictates that any time an undertaking is located on federal property or receives federal monies the client must assess if there will be an adverse effect on historic properties. This often requires an archaeological assessment to be done of the affected area.

Once located in Phoenix I immediately found myself inundated with temporary job offers. There are many Cultural Resource Management (CRM) firms throughout the United States. Each of these firms bid on projects that require archaeological survey or data recovery work to be done. Since the firms’ employment needs vary with the projects they recieve it is normal for archaeological field technicians to be hired on a temporary basis and then jump between multiple companies throughout the year as projects begin and end.

For the next few months I did just that. I had phenomenal experiences getting to work throughout the Southwest’s many environments and saw an unbelievable amount of archaeology. As my experience and network grew I took a shot at a full-time archaeologist position and received the position. While I’ll still spend most of my time in the field I now have the opportunity to continue projects into the office phase to complete reports and further my competencies.

Thank you all for reading my story! I hope it shed some light on the journey between field school student and archaeologist.

No comments: