Friday, August 2, 2019

Archaeology is Like A Box of Chocolates...

          Hello again, everyone! This week I had the opportunity to speak on Media Day (August 1) in front of Niles community members and visitors from Western Michigan University. I shared about my experience with the Fort St. Joseph Archaeological Project this summer.
          There was a quote Dr. Nassaney told us on the first day of orientation back in June, "Archaeology is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." I chose to speak about this not just because I have a sweet tooth almost as big as Gary's (we have a friendly dessert-eating competition at the stables) but because I think it also applies to field school. I expected to learn excavation techniques and fur trade history, as well as various archaeological skills to put on my resume. Yet, I've gained so much more.
          My peers and I are now able to look at the soil zones of a unit and distinguish where plow zone ends and occupation zone begins. This is the undisturbed soil where those in the fort were living during the 18th-century. We have also learned the weight you feel when dropping a lead show into your hand means it's not just a pebble. I think this heavy drop in your palm is one of the best feelings while wet screening.
          There are other things I never imagined to find in this little box of chocolates. One of those is that I would live with 15 other strangers and love every minute of it. We come from all over- the east and west sides of the state, New Jersey, Ohio, and even Oklahoma. Yet, somehow through lots of inside jokes, shared experiences in the trenches, van rides together, and overall support for one another, we have created our own little home here in Niles.
          I think it helps that community members have welcomed us with open arms since day one. Sure, they have cooked us some delicious and greatly appreciated meals for our crzy bunch of people. They have also shared stories and Niles history with us, in addition to lots of devoted time working on the site. I've realized that we would not be able to do our research on the 18th-century fort community if it weren't for the integral support of the present-day community.
          Another sweet surprise the field school has offered is exposure to different career avenues. As I'm sure you already know, curation has been this year's theme. We've had the opportunity to speak to museum professionals, visit museums, and learn behind-the-scenes practices for taking care of artifacts. I've actually gained an interest in the idea of preserving these objects once they're removed from the ground and crafting exhibits to educate the public. Perhaps if I use the archaeological skills I've gained to pursue a career in curation, I can inspire future generations to join a field school and discover their own box of chocolates!

Sincerely,
Heidi

No comments: