Sunday, July 17, 2022

Field Fun at Fort St. Joseph

 Hello everyone!

   

    My name is Olivia Crandall. I'm a senior at Northern Michigan University. I will graduate in December with a forensic anthropology and criminal justice degree. I was very excited to hear that Western Michigan University was holding a field school because I am originally from Kalamazoo and can spend time with family during these eight weeks of excavating. I was very appreciative when I found out I was able to participate in the WMU field school and learn about the history of the site, proper excavation techniques, and artifact processing.

    Over the second week of the field school, my pit partner Carson and I made it to level 2 of our unit. We have found lead shot, calcined bone, spall gun flint, nails, structural stone and seed beads. By Tuesday, Carson and I made it to 20 centimeters below datum and finished level 2 of our unit. We were able to map our unit, take soil descriptions, and complete our notes before starting level 3 on Thursday. Wednesday, we had our first official lab day. We did artifact cleaning and a lot of planning for the open house such as t-shirts, kids activity planning, artifact case planning, and so much more! We ended Wednesday night with a lecture by Cathrine Davis about lead seals. Thursday, half of our day was spent in the Niles District Library doing a zooarchaeology lab. The other half was excavating at Fort St. Joseph. We ended the week strong with a full day in the field on Friday working on level 3 of our unit!

    Overall, I have enjoyed my time at field school so far. I have learned so much in two weeks. I truly enjoy the people I have been able to meet and learn from here at the Fort St. Joseph Archaeological Project.

See you soon!

Olivia

No comments: