Thursday, August 8, 2019

Closing a Unit: A How-To Guide


Good morning, afternoon and evening!

It’s Shailee once again, and for my last blog of the season, I want to give a big FSJ thank you to the supporters of the site, our social media, and blog, for being as involved as you are through each field season. In my first blog, I recounted what it was like to set up the field and our units for the first time. From there, we saw it only fitting for me to come full circle and tell you what it was like to close it.

Most field students like myself form a lot of attachment when it comes to their units, even going so far as to name them. My pit was named Claudia, and nicknamed “The Dragon Lady”. After building a stark routine day in and day out, as you take your tools to the pit, untarp, set up, and get digging, it seems weird to hear that at least for this season, your unit won’t be going any deeper. In many ways, it feels unfulfilling because you haven’t answered all of the questions that you may have.

Especially in my unit, we decided to stop due to remaining time, not because we had run out of artifacts to find, or occupation zone to excavate; quite the opposite, in fact. We had just uncovered the beginnings of more large bones, and possibly structural stones. So when we said at the Open House that there was still so much more to be done… we certainly meant it! But what does it mean to close out a unit? What happens? Well, in the case of this field school, it means to curate, or preserve the site for future visitation and excavation (should we decide to do so). Each unit we set up teaches us something about Fort St. Joseph, even if we only learn that something is not located where we’re digging, so it’s located somewhere else. We want to preserve that, so at any time, the unit can be revisited and reexamined.

The first thing that happens when the decision is made to close down a unit is that the level sheet is finished. Notes, maps, and plan view photographs are all taken and checked by an appropriate staff member. With that done and checked, we then begin to clean scrape the walls and floors to set up for a new type of photograph called a “profile view,” and just as the name entails, these photos focus on the profile walls and stratigraphy of the overall unit (more specifically, which soil zones can be seen and where). These give us a photo view of what we are seeing in preparation for the next big step: profile mapping. We set out to map the soil zones (such as landfill, plow zone, and occupation) as well as any artifacts in the walls and other things worth noting. I just so happened to be lucky enough to not only map one wall, but all four walls.

A datum string gets set up and leveled out at a certain depth (a constant depth) in relation to your original datum line in the southwest corner. Mine happened to be at 20 cm bd (below datum). From there, you draw a two dimensional map with the points being measured above, below, or at that new datum line. Like all maps, a profile map has a key that lists what certain things are, as well as the interpretations of the soil zones.

Upon completion of the profile map, you get to begin the strangest goodbye of your life. It is a goodbye that includes at least 16 pieces of paperwork, some of which are your last hurrah, a unit summary. This summary is the pivotal moment of being a field student, because one of two things happens: one, you look back at your past notes and maps, reveling at your own brilliance and clarity; and two, the one that I personally experienced, was multiple hours of me yelling at myself for not taking more specific notes, and reinterpreting the date I left myself with a seething hatred. A unit summary is meant to be a semi-succinct overview of the unit excavated, providing highlights about each level and what it revealed, suggestions about what should be done with the unit and the area surrounding it, and finally, a conclusion detailing what was learned from the excavation of this unit.

My summary took three drafts and multiple days to write, and I’m sure that if I looked at it again right now, there would be more that I wanted to change. But, the goal here is to provide accurate interpretations of data collected over the course of the field season, not to argue about why your unit may or may not be the best. These things all need to be summarized in a way that any archaeologist should be able to read and understand them.

Then, the hardest and seemingly most final part of closing down a unit… is backfilling it. We protect the unit by laying down a tarp on the unit’s floor, which makes it easier to distinguish fill versus undisturbed soil, and then we fill it with dirt. Adding the fill back in creates a secondary layer of protection by providing stable temperature conditions (something we learned from Dr. Lynn Evans during her lecture about curation records at Fort Michilimackinac, one of my other blogs), which continues to preserve artifacts. A piece of flagging tape with some information about the unit is dropped in for later excavators to have the correct provenience, and then we leave the site (more or less) so that we can come back and continue our work the following seasons.

It’s bittersweet to think that I may not come back next field season and open my unit once again, but overall, this has been one of the most clarifying experiences of my life. I hadn’t considered a job in field work before, but now I know that it isn’t something I would entirely dread (though I recognize that I much prefer lab analysis), and I live for what we learn from the artifacts we collected. More so than that, I wouldn’t trade the friends I have made along the way. In any place that you go or work, you’ll hear that it really is the people who make it, and I’ve never found that truer than being here. The people of Niles embraced us, my friend group expanded exponentially, and a working family formed, all over two months in the bottom of a dump.

From the trenches to the trees, this is Shailee Kuroswki signing off for the season.

No comments: