Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Greetings from a 2009 High School Summer Camper: Ten years later


Greetings Fort followers!

Visiting the site recently I was reminded that ten years ago, I was an excited high school junior that jumped up and down in the kitchen after receiving a letter of acceptance to participate in the FSJ summer camper program. I remember the months I spent researching field schools that would accept a 16 year old. I was thrilled to discover that just an hour’s drive away from my home in Three Rivers was a site and a program that would allow me to finally get my hands dirty. A lot has changed since then but I am happy to have remained involved with the project, attending a second year of summer camp, taking my first field school and working as site photographer, writing a thesis on lead seals from the site, connecting with students in the 2018 field school, and most recently, having my research on the fort’s lead seal assemblage published as a chapter in an edited volume, – Fort St. Joseph Revealed.


            These memories of past fieldwork at Fort St. Joseph were made even more poignant this summer as I directed eleven students through their first five weeks of field experience as part of the College of William and Mary Archaeological Field School. As teaching assistant for this diverse cohort of students (composed of not only archaeology students but also computer scientists, international studies majors, and student athletes), I was privileged to assist director and Colonial Williamsburg Archaeologist Mark Kostro in excavating a series of progressively more intriguing nineteenth and eighteenth-century deposits within a refuse filled ravine that once separated the Governor’s Palace complex from the property of Robert “King” Carter (the richest man in Virginia in his time) and his notable successors, Robert Nicholas Carter and Robert Carter III. The excavations on the grounds of the Robert King Carter house have attempted to understand the evolution of the landscape and architecture on the property, but also have sought to gain a fuller understanding of the lives of enslaved individuals that lived and worked on there in the 18th century.


            Though this excavation uncovered new and unfamiliar artifacts such as buckets of British ceramics, one 1773 Virginia halfpenny, and oyster shells, we also uncovered one lead whizzer like many of those found at FSJ and at other nearby French sites. This whizzer was a little reminder that even sites that seem drastically different still existed in the same interconnected eighteenth-century world. As I have continued in academia, through an MA in History at Université Laval (Québec, QC) and into this impending second year of my PhD in Anthropology at William and Mary, thinking about connections has taken me to many far away places in search of stories first uncovered in the wet screens and dustpans at Fort St. Joseph. Earlier this summer I visited France for the first time in order to learn more about the lives of French Canada merchants- “négociants du Canada”- and the social bonds that enabled the production and importation of textiles to New France. I visited the area of France most represented in lead seal collections across New France, traveling to Toulouse, Carcassonne, Montauban, Bordeaux, Rochefort, and La Rochelle. Though my two weeks abroad went by very, very quickly, some of the highlights included visiting the townhouse of the Mariette family in Villebourbon (Montauban) and research at the Archives départementales de Tarn-et-Garonne, locating old cloth merchant homes in the bastide of Carcassonne, exploring the courtyards of l’Hôpital Saint-Joseph de la Grave in Toulouse, and visiting the Musée national des douanes in the heart of the old port of Bordeaux for an in depth look at how eighteenth-century French customs houses functioned (seals included!). I’m now planning my next research trip to France and beginning analysis of death, marriage, and baptism records within and between merchant families in Montauban, the central focus of my dissertation study.

            I’m glad the project is about to round out yet another very successful field season, and of course I look forward to yet more discoveries in the lab! I hope to keep you posted as my research on Fort St. Joseph and the story of textiles in the eighteenth-century French world continues to evolve!

Best wishes,

-Cathrine Davis

No comments: